Monday, October 21, 2013

First plants I adopted.

When I moved in I brought only two plants which I planted in containers at my parent’s home specialy to bring with me to my new home. Both are spices use in our traditional culinary. One is Pandan (screwpine) leaves native to Southeast Asia,called  ‘Rampa’ in local language – this is a water and shade loving bush so suitable for a indoor garden. It is the long leafed green plant in following image.

 The other is Murraya koenigii, called ‘Karapincha’ in local language meaning curry tree– These grow into fairly big trees if allowed, so suitable for out side gardens.


Start of my hanging garden.

Then a Yellow Oncidium commonly called ‘Dancers’ cutting came home with me from my parent’s home. It is doing great now and not yet flowered. It is in the right most hanging basket. 

Purple and white Dendrobium came home from a flower exhibition I normally try not to miss. Any way I don’t miss any type of garden exhibitions if I have time. J



Two Native Dandrobium varieties made way to my little hanging garden and living on tree bark cuttings I collect at my parents’ home. One is Dendrobium mac-carthiae called ‘Vesak Orchid’ locally which is native to rain forests of Sri Lanka. I grow four plants at my parents’ home with many blooms. It is our most beautiful endemic epiphyte - A protected plant and is listed as highly threatened species. 

The other (still trying to identify exact name) I collected from a wild growing bunch of orchids at my father’s estate which has a small flower. It is the long stem with little green leaves mounted on tree bark. Behind it is a clump of Spanish moss. 

Follows a picture of  flowering ‘Vesak Orchid’ at my parent’s home. It is perfumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment